Confessions of a Theoholic

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Purpose

This blog is going to have many purposes which are delineated below. Mainly, this blog is for my own spiritual growth, discipline, and edification. I share it with the public and with followers so that they may be edified and encouraged as well. In addition to that, I share it because one aspect of spiritual growth is that it takes place within the confines of the Christian community. As I share my thoughts, insights, and reflections, I lay them before you for sharpening either via further nuancing or by disagreeing by which i will be forced to clarify or giving me food for thought.

Long Term Goals of the Blog (read: after i pass ordination exams)
1.) My intention is to read Hebrew for 20 minutes a day. I will translate whatever I am able to read and reflect upon what I have read/translated. I will post in a blog entry the Scripture reference as the title and will include my personal translation along with insights, reflections, questions, etc., on both the language and theology of the section. When I get to the end of a pericope, I will probably do a summation post.

2.) My intention is to read Greek for 20 minutes a day. I will translate whatever I am able to read and reflect upon what I have read/translated. I will post in a blog entry the Scripture reference as the title and will include my personal translation along with insights, reflections, questions, etc., on both the language and theology of the section. When I get to the end of a pericope, I will probably do a summation post.


3.) My intention is to read through the theological books that I have accumulated during seminary. I will try to read a chapter at a time. I will post a blog entry with the title of the book and chapter number. The entry will begin with a summary of the chapter followed by any insights, reflections, questions, agreements, disagreements, etc. as a way of helping me read slowly, intentionally, and in order to retain what I have read.

Goal that can be fulfilled presently:
4.) Miscellaneous.  I will have blog entries on seemingly random topics. It will usually be precipitated by  some conversation or event that has recently happened. I anticipate them being my musing on the intersection of theology (from a Presbyterian and Reformed perspective) and culture, current events, politics, etc.


My hope and prayer is that this blog with be profitable spiritually and intellectually, with the former at the forefront.

Soli Deo Gloria

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Great! Amazing goals of the Hebrew and Greek. I'll welcome both, not knowing either. Could you begin by sharing your conversations with the Mormons? I've had more lengthy conversations with Jehovah's Witnesses, but would welcome insight on how you go about sharing with people--not just cults.

    By Blogger Alice, At August 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM  

  • Proud of you and your discipline and hard work!

    By Blogger Jag, At August 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home