Confessions of a Theoholic

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What to do with "the call"?

The Chancellor of my seminary alma mater has written a book called "Leaving a Career to Follow a Call." In seminary, we learn to distinguish between the "inward call" and the "outward call" and the necessity of both. But what do we do with "the call" as it gets more specific? It is easy when "the call" is to ministry. Then you go through seminary and other seasons of life as you try to figure out if you're called to pastoral ministry, church planting, college ministry, youth ministry, the mission field, or some other avenue of ministry. So now you've narrowed down that you're called to a specific ministry. What next? Let's narrow down that specific ministry to a specific context. If you're called to do college ministry, do you go through RUF, Cru, Campus Outreach, or some other organization? If you're called to the mission field, to which field do you go and through which agency serving in the field do you go through? If you're called to pastoral ministry, which denomination do you go with and where in that denomination do you go? If you're called to church planting, again which denomination will you go through to plant that church and where will you plant that church?

Ok, so now you've got a pretty narrow call after much prayer, advice, time in seminary, and taking an inventory of your giftings. What happens if that narrowed calling isn't happening? For instance, I know that I am called to pastoral ministry in the ARP. Sure, I could fit in the OPC or the PCA, but I specifically believe I am called to the ARP. I love the ARP. I spent my seminary time in the ARP, going to presbytery and Synod, learning the ethos and meeting fellow seminarians and pastors in the denomination. I want to see her flourish and thrive as part of God's kingdom. I want to see her reaching out to unbelievers. I want to see her planting churches. I don't want to see her wither and perish. I want to serve her as the denomination to which God has led me. However, pastoral callings are scarce right now in the ARP. I have been tempted to and succumbed to impatience and frustration. I've even been tempted to question the call, both in general and as narrowed.

Now comes the big question. Do I stick with the narrow calling or do I move back up to a more general level and start again? Do I stick with the ARP, but begin to explore mission fields which at one point I was seriously considering? Do I pick back up with that serious consideration? Do I stick with the ARP or begin to search for a pastoral call in the PCA or OPC where there might be more opportunities? What about other denominations with whom I might have some issues? Do I stick with the ARP, but begin to explore church planting or college ministry? Or do I stay where I am and continue to pursue the call as it has been narrowed down over time, prayer, and experience?  Is this the talk of one who is panicking and frustrated instead of relying and waiting upon the Lord? Is finding a call in the general sense more important than finding a call in which it has been narrowed? Is it more important for me to be a minister somewhere, than a minister in the ARP?

I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer to this. Perhaps for some, they will need to re-evaluate and start over at the general level, while others should stick with the narrow call. Maybe there is some wisdom in biding one's time while waiting on the narrow call to materialize. I see all of these guys (and girls) come to seminary straight out of college, then they go straight into ministry without necessarily having a lot of life experience. Perhaps they should work secular vocations, get married, have kids, etc., and gain life lessons before ministering to others. Perhaps some in that time will realize that they are not truly called, or that where they thought God was leading them is not where He is leading them. Only God knows as we can make our plans, but he directs our steps (Prov 16:9).

As for myself, while I am waiting, my family and I have changed churches (from one richly blessed to one that is in need of revitalization) within our denomination (the ARP) to help her out. I am going to stick with my narrow call, but since it is not coming yet, I'm going to work within a context  that will provide experience, wisdom, and growth geared toward my narrow calling of pastoral ministry within the ARP. I'm going to pursue my calling as it has been narrowed until God makes it apparent that I should be pursuing "the call" in a different direction or fulfills "the call." Like Moses, perhaps this time is my 40 years in the wilderness for preparation. God knows I do not want to take things into my own hands. Yet, He also knows that I really don't want to be in the wilderness for 40 years. That would put me becoming an ordained minister at 72. :)

Soli Deo Gloria

4 Comments:

  • Thank you for your post Mark. It is comforting to see other men fighting the same battles that I am. You always hear the stories, but being able to put it into the real-life context of men that you know helps tremendously.

    By Blogger Hilliard Family News, At August 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM  

  • Mark:
    Thanks for your post here. I understand. I feel the same way about the PCA of which I have been a part for almost 30 years. When I was seeking a call after seminary I sent a few resumes into other denominations, but it just didn't sit right with me. It was not at all an issue with those other great presbyterian denominations. God bless them (and the ARP). The Lord has given me a great love for the PCA and its work. We are going with Mission to the World to Latin America. Have you looked into World Witness or Outreach North America? There is a huge need for men (and spouses) willing to go. Ambrose

    By Blogger Ambrose, At August 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM  

  • I understand the pressure. I was there after 10 years of ministry in the ARP. But I got no bites in the ARP, and plenty of interest in the PCA over the course of a 2 1/2 year search.
    I also felt a call to get closer to home. At least that was my desire.
    Neither was to be as I now serve in the PCA even farther away from our families.
    But God put us here, contrary to our sense of call. And we are glad we are here. It has been a good fit for us.
    We applied to many places and let God lead. We want to be where He wants us, which may not be where we want to be. The outward call is just as important as the inward call. And often clearer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM  

  • Justin, Glad to be of help. Rarely do I feel like I have something to share that can help others, but this was one of those times where I felt like I did.

    Ambrose, good to hear from you! I had no idea you were heading in that direction. My wife and I are pre-candidates with World Witness, but we don't have a field and I keep on going back and forth on whether that's what God would have us to do. It definitely gets more difficult as our family grows.

    Cavman, thanks for the input. I definitely agree about the outward call seeming clearer. We're just waiting for that clarity to come even in the outward call.

    By Blogger Pastor Mark, At August 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home